Universal Psychology Postdoctoral Directions (UPPD) - Search Instructions
The UPPP directory can be searched by any single or combination of the following criteria.
- Words in the program name, description, specialty and/or emphasis - This field will search for word(s) that may be listed in any UPPD field(s). Whatever is typed into this box must match exactly the word(s) used in the actual program listing field. Since there is no commonly used classification of postdoctoral training tracks, focus areas, or emphases, programs differ in how they list information in the directory. Consequently, if you’re looking for a specific focus or emphasis area, it is suggested that you use different search strategies (e.g., separate searches using the “Specialty,” “Emphasis or focus of training,” and “Other emphasis or focus of training” fields.)
- State - geographic location - by selecting particular states, Providences or Commonwealths (multi-select option is new).
- Agency Type - (e.g., Children’s Hospital, Community Mental Health Center, Corrections, VA Medical Center, etc.)
- APPIC Member Program - filter the directory by whether or not the program is a dues paying APPIC member program
- Specialty Recognized by COS (Counsel of Specialties) - these are recognized specialties with formal training and education guidelines.
- Emphasis or focus of training - although not recognized specialties, many programs provide focused training in emphases or tracks. This drop-down list contains the most common emphases or tracks. Some programs may not have completed this field.
- Other emphasis or focus of training - this is a free text box for emphases or tracks that are not on the drop-down menu of the previous field. Note: Whatever is typed into this box must match exactly the word(s) the program used to complete this field. Some programs may not have completed this field.
- 20% or more time is allocated for research activities – filter the directory by programs that allocate 20% or more time to research activities.
Clicking on the “Advanced Search Options” reveals additional search criteria:
- Country – United States and Canada are the only options
- APA Accredited - filter the directory by whether or not the program is accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) Commission on Accreditation (CoA).
- Application due date before – filter the directory for programs that have a due date before the date entered into the field
- Start date before - filter the directory for programs that have a start date before the date entered into the field. If you are looking for programs with an immediate opening, set the "Start date before" field to today's date or a date in the near future.
Despite efforts to standardize data entry, programs may differ how their information is listed in the UPPD fields. Consequently, it is recommended that applicants conduct separate searches using varied combinations of the search fields and terminology noted above.
On the Search Results Page, there is a button in the top left corner - "Show Newest First." This allows you to sort search results showing the most recently added or updated listings first.
Being educated about the postdoctoral selection process will help ensure a smoother selection process and maximize your chances of obtaining a postdoctoral position that is a good match between your interests, background, and training. We highly recommend that applicants take advantage of the following:
- Consultation with leadership and staff at their internship program and/or doctoral program related to conducting searches and determining which programs would be a good fit.
- Review the APPIC Postdoctoral website page, as it has a great deal of information and educational materials pertaining to the postdoctoral selection process. The webinars and video on postdoctoral selection may prove to be particularly useful.
For technical difficulties with the UPPD, contact the APPIC Postdoc Committee Chair, Wayne G. Siegel, Ph.D., ABPP at [email protected] or 612-467-4024