APPIC Mission Statement
The Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers (APPIC) is committed to enhancing internship and postdoctoral training in professional psychology.
To accomplish this mission, APPIC:
- Develops minimum standards for quality internship and post-doctoral training programs.
- Facilitates the development of new internship and postdoctoral programs.
- Develops selection policies and procedures to facilitate a fair and orderly process of matching applicants with internship programs.
- Publishes a directory of internship and postdoctoral programs in professional psychology that meet APPIC membership standards.
- Facilitates the placement of unmatched internship applicants through the APPIC Match Phase II.
- Promotes the discussion of relevant selection and training issues for interns and postdoctoral fellows.
- Facilitates, through both formal and informal mechanisms, resolution of issues and problems that arise during selection or training of interns or fellows;
- Develops relationships with professional associations committed to doctoral and postdoctoral training and other aspects of professional psychology;
- Facilitates the exchange of information between doctoral programs and agencies offering internship and/or postdoctoral training in professional psychology;
- Represents the views of internship and postdoctoral agencies to relevant groups and organizations in professional psychology.
- Disseminates information on experiential training to members of the psychology community.
- Encourages research in the areas of psychology training and supervision.