Frequently Asked Questions:
Internship Applicants - Match Registration
- How do I register for the APPIC Match?
- What if I want to participate in the Match with a partner?
- My doctoral program has determined that I won't be ready (due to delayed completion of my academic requirements) to participate in Phase I of the Match. However, if I complete those requirements before Phase II of the Match begins, may I participate in Phase II?
1. How do I register for the APPIC Match?
Applicants who are applying to programs that participate in the APPIC Match must register for the Match and receive a unique, five-digit Applicant Code Number in order to participate in the Match. For applicants who do not obtain a position in Phase I of the Match, the registration fee also covers your participation in Phase II of the Match; no additional Match fee is required to participate in Phase II.
Please note that APPIC Match registration is a completely separate process from the AAPI Online registration -- in other words, applicants must register separately for both the AAPI Online AND the APPIC Match.
Important Note: Applicants who wish to participate in either Phase of the Match must register for the Match no later than February 3, 2016. No registrations will be accepted for either Phase of the Match after that date.
It is recommended that applicants register for the Match by December 1, although registrations can be accepted after that date if necessary (but no later than February 3, 2016). Registrations that occur after December 31 must be explicitly authorized in writing to NMS by the student's Director of Clinical Training. While it can be helpful to register early enough to include your Applicant Code Number on your AAPI, this is not required as there will be other opportunities for you to provide your Applicant Code Number to programs, and there are also other ways in which programs can obtain your Applicant Code Number for the Match.
Please note that the Match registration fee is NON-REFUNDABLE and not transferable to future Matches. Thus, if you aren't yet sure that you will be participating in the Match (e.g., you may not meet departmental requirements in time to participate), it may be advisable to delay your registration until you are certain that you will be participating (but no later than the dates listed above).
Applicants may register for the APPIC Match by going to the National Matching Services (NMS) web site. You are not registered for the APPIC Match until you have completed the online Match registration process and have received your five-digit Applicant Code Number from NMS.
2. What if I want to participate in the Match with a partner?
The Matching Program provides special procedures for couples who wish to attempt to coordinate their internship placements with each other. Please see the Frequently Asked Questions for Couples and the NMS web site (click on "Participate as a Couple" from the left-side menu) for more information.
3. My doctoral program has determined that I won't be ready (due to delayed completion of my academic requirements) to participate in Phase I of the Match. However, if I complete those requirements before Phase II of the Match begins, may I participate in Phase II?
By far, the best scenario is for you to complete all academic requirements in a timely fashion so that you can be eligible to participate in both Phases of the Match.
However, if that isn't possible, then the situation needs to be carefully considered and discussed with your doctoral program. Students who participate only in Phase II may have a much lower chance of being successfully matched to an acceptable position as compared to Phase I participants, due to the large number of applicants competing for a limited number of positions that will be available in Phase II. Ultimately, a doctoral program needs to decide whether or not they will permit a student to participate in Phase II only.
If you will NOT participate in Phase I of the Match but DO want to participate in Phase II, you must do the following:
- Secure permission from your doctoral program to move forward with Match registration with the understanding that you will participate in Phase II only.
- Register for the Match prior to February 3, 2016. Please note that the Match fee is non-refundable, even if the student ultimately does not participate in either Phase of the Match.
- Submit a formal withdrawal from Phase I of the Match on the NMS web site prior to the Phase I Rank Order List deadline of February 3, 2016.
- Prepare an application via the AAPI Online service. You should allow plenty of time to complete the application, secure transcripts and letters of recommendation, etc.
- You may participate in Phase II of the Match if your academic requirements are completed in time and your doctoral program authorizes you to participate in Phase II. If you do not ultimately receive authorization from your doctoral program to participate in Phase II, then you must not submit any applications to internship sites for Phase II, and you must formally withdraw from Phase II prior to the Phase II Rank Order List deadline of March 14, 2016.