APPIC Intern-Network E-Mail List
The APPIC "Intern-Network" e-mail list is intended for discussion of professional psychology internship issues among internship applicants and current interns. While the focus is on interaction among students who are in or approaching internship, training directors and others may participate. This is an all-to-all discussion list, and any list subscriber may post messages to the list. Postings or advertisements for internship or postdoctoral programs or vacant positions are not permitted on this list.
Managing Your Subscription
There are two ways for you to communicate with APPIC's e-mail
list server (called "Lyris") in order to manage your list
- Send commands to the server via e-mail (see the information below for the specific commands to use).
- Use the Lyris web interface.
This method allows you to use your browser to subscribe or
unsubscribe, manage your subscription, review message archives,
etc. When using the web interface to manage an existing list
subscription, you MUST login using the EXACT e-mail address at which you
are subscribed (this e-mail address appears at the end of every
message posted to the list) and a blank password. Due to the
idiosyncrasies of e-mail, sometimes you are subscribed to a list under a
slightly different address than you might think. If you are having
difficulty, be sure that you are entering the e-mail address that
is listed at the end of each message that you receive from the
To subscribe to this e-mail list, simply send a blank e-mail to:
You will subsequently receive an e-mail message (with the subject
line, "Your confirmation is needed") that contains instructions for you
to follow in order to confirm your subscription. Simply follow these
instructions and you will soon receive a "Welcome" e-mail in response.
This "Welcome" e-mail confirms that you are successfully subscribed to
the list (please note that you are NOT subscribed to the list until you
have received the "Welcome" e-mail).
PLEASE NOTE: If your e-mail program uses "Spam" or "Junk Mail"
filtering, it is possible that the confirmation message from the APPIC
server will be automatically redirected to your "Junk Mail" folder
without your knowledge. If you do not receive a confirmation message in
your "in" box, you should check your "Spam" or "Junk Mail" folder to see
if the message is there. If your e-mail program does use filtering, you
should instruct it to accept all e-mail from APPIC's e-mail list
To unsubscribe from this e-mail list, simply send a blank e-mail to:
must send this e-mail message from the exact address at which you are
subscribed to the list. If you have difficulty, use the web interface
(described under "Managing your Subscription" above).
To post a message to this list, simply send the message to the following address:
Postings are reviewed and approved by the List Manager before being distributed to the list.
Changing Your Email Address
There are two ways to change your e-mail address:
- Simply unsubscribe from your previous e-mail address and re-subscribe from your new address, as described above.
- Use the "web interface" (described above, under "Managing your Subscription") to make the change.
Accessing Message Archives
Messages that are posted to this list are saved for a limited period of
time. To review these archived messages, use the web interface
(described under "Managing your Subscription" above).
APPIC's "Network" e-mail lists can sometimes generate a
considerable amount of e-mail. If you set the "Digest" option for your
subscription to this list, you will receive a maximum of one e-mail
message each day that contains all of the messages posted to the list
during the previous 24 hours. Using the "Digest" option is a great way
to stay involved with an active list without getting flooded with
There are two types of "Digest" settings that you can use -- the regular setting works best for most people:
(1) The regular "Digest" setting, which works well with all e-mail programs but has the disadvantage of not preserving the special formatting that is present in some messages. To turn on the regular "Digest" setting for this list, send a blank e-mail message to:
(2) The "MIME Digest" setting. The advantage to this setting is that it preserves message formatting. However, some e-mail programs receive MIME Digests as attachments, making them much more difficult to read (some e-mail programs, such as Eudora, allow you to change a setting so this won't happen). To turn on the "MIME Digest" setting for this list, send a blank e-mail message to:
To completely turn off the "Digest" option for this list, which means that you will receive individual messages as they are posted to the list, send a blank e-mail message to:
Viewing Your List Settings
To determine your current subscription settings for this list, send a blank e-mail message to: email@example.com .
If you want to see a summary of the APPIC lists to which you are subscribed, simply send an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following two commands on the first two lines of the body of your message:
Rules for Using this List
The following rules apply to all of APPIC's e-mail lists, and
subscribing to a list denotes your agreement to abide by these rules as a
condition of your subscription. Each APPIC list may have additional rules or guidelines.
- Do not use the list for illegal or unethical purposes.
- Do not interfere with or disrupt other list users, list resources, or network services or equipment.
- Do not use the list for commercial purposes.
- Do not show disrespect for the points of view of others.
- Postings must be related to the general topic and purpose of the list.
- APPIC is not responsible for postings on its e-mail lists.
- As of March 10, 2014, requests for research participation are no longer permitted on APPIC's e-mail lists. Research conducted through e-mail list postings can be seriously flawed due to the inability to define the sample, poor response rates, outdated list membership, and lack of generalizability of the sample. Researchers who wish to contact APPIC-member internship and postdoctoral programs may purchase a mailing list from the APPIC Central Office (available at no cost to APPIC Members and Doctoral Program Associates).
The INTERN-NETWORK list has the following additional rule:
Postings or advertisements for internship or postdoctoral programs or vacant positions are not permitted on this list.
APPIC may remove
from the list any list member who does not abide by these rules.
If you need assistance with any APPIC list, please contact the APPIC List Manager, Dr. Cecilia Sun, at ListManager@appic.org .